Reference: A: Determination of the respiration due to the alternative oxidase pathway »Versions
The SUIT-022 is designed to provide an estimation of the mitochondrial respiration in cells due to the alternative oxidase pathway, which is cyanide-and antimycin A-resistant. This protocol must be complemented with the study in parallel of the mitochondrial respiration due to the cytochrome c oxidase (CIV) pathway (see SUIT-023).
Communicated by Huete-Ortega M and Gnaiger E (last update 2019-04-09)
Specific SUIT protocols
SUIT-022 O2 ce D051
- SUIT-022 O2 ce D051 for intact microalgal cells (ce)
Steps and respiratory states
|Step||State||Pathway||Q-junction||Comment - Events (E) and Marks (M)|
|ce2KCN||ROUTINE or ROX||ce1;ce2KCN
- Bioblast links: SUIT protocols - >>>>>>> - Click on [Expand] or [Collapse] - >>>>>>>
- Pathway control
Strengths and limitations
- SUIT-022 provides an estimation of the cyanide-and antimycin A-resistant mitochondrial respiration due to the activity of the alternative oxidase on cells on ROUTINE. To complement the study with the estimation of the mitochondrial respiration due to the cytochrome c oxidase (CIV) pathway, it must be carried out in parallel to SUIT-023.
- + This protocol can be used with many type of cells, although optimal concentrations of inhibitors have to be optimised.
- + Short duration of experiment
- - Estimation of the linear coupling control is not done
- - The use of cyanide requires a careful and in deep cleaning of the chambers after use and careful handling of the chemical to guarantee health safety.
Compare SUIT protocols
MitoPedia methods: Respirometry