Szibor 2020 J Biol Chem
|Szibor Marten, Gizatullina Zemfira, Gainutdinov Timur, Endres Thomas, Debska-Vielhaber Grazyna, Kunz Matthias, Karavasili Niki, Hallmann Kerstin, Schreiber Frank, Bamberger Alexandra, Schwarzer Michael, Doenst Torsten, Heinze Hans-Jochen, Leßmann Volkmar, Vielhaber Stefan, Kunz Wolfram S, Gellerich Frank Norbert (2020) Cytosolic, but not matrix, calcium is essential for adjustment of mitochondrial pyruvate supply. J Biol Chem 295:4383-97.|
Szibor Marten, Gizatullina Zemfira, Gainutdinov Timur, Endres Thomas, Debska-Vielhaber Grazyna, Kunz Matthias, Karavasili Niki, Hallmann Kerstin, Schreiber Frank, Bamberger Alexandra, Schwarzer Michael, Doenst Torsten, Heinze Hans-Jochen, Leßmann Volkmar, Vielhaber Stefan, Kunz Wolfram S, Gellerich Frank Norbert (2020) J Biol Chem
Abstract: Mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation (OXPHOS) and cellular workload are tightly balanced by the key cellular regulator, calcium (Ca2+). Current models assume that cytosolic Ca2+ regulates workload and that mitochondrial Ca2+ uptake precedes activation of matrix dehydrogenases, thereby matching OXPHOS substrate supply to ATP demand. Surprisingly, knock-out (KO) of the mitochondrial Ca2+ uniporter (MCU) in mice results in only minimal phenotypic changes and does not alter OXPHOS. This implies that adaptive activation of mitochondrial dehydrogenases by intramitochondrial Ca2+ cannot be the exclusive mechanism for OXPHOS control. We hypothesized that cytosolic Ca2+, but not mitochondrial matrix Ca2+, may adapt OXPHOS to workload by adjusting the rate of pyruvate supply from the cytosol to the mitochondria. Here, we studied the role of malate aspartate shuttle (MAS)-dependent substrate supply on OXPHOS responses to changing Ca2+ concentrations in isolated brain and heart mitochondria, synaptosomes, fibroblasts, and thymocytes from wild-type (WT) and MCU KO mice, and the isolated working rat heart. Our results indicate that extramitochondrial Ca2+ controls up to 85% of maximal pyruvate-driven OXPHOS rates, mediated by the activity of the complete MAS, and that intramitochondrial Ca2+ accounts for the remaining 15%. Of note, the complete MAS as applied here, included besides its classical NADH oxidation reaction the generation of cytosolic pyruvate. Part of this largely neglected mechanism has previously been described as the "mitochondrial gas pedal". Its implementation into OXPHOS control models integrates seemingly contradictory results and warrants a critical reappraisal of metabolic control mechanisms in health and disease.
Published under license by The American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Inc. • Keywords: Bioenergetics, Calcium, Malate-aspartate shuttle, Mitochondria, Mitochondrial calcium uniporter, Mouse, Respiratory chain • Bioblast editor: Plangger M • O2k-Network Lab: DE Jena Szibor M, FI Helsinki Jacobs HT, DE Magdeburg Gellerich FN, DE Magdeburg Debska-Vielhaber G
Labels: MiParea: Respiration, Genetic knockout;overexpression
Organism: Mouse Tissue;cell: Nervous system Preparation: Isolated mitochondria, Intact cells Enzyme: Inner mt-membrane transporter Regulation: Calcium Coupling state: LEAK, OXPHOS Pathway: N, S, Gp, CIV, NS, ROX HRR: Oxygraph-2k