Abbreviation: AOX-ce SHAM+CN
Reference: A: Determination of respiration through the CIII-CIV pathway
- SUIT protocol pattern: ce1;ce2SHAM;ce3KCN
The SUIT-023 provides an estimation of mitochondrial respiration in living cells through the CIII- cytochrome c oxidase (CIV) pathway, which is inhibited by antimycin A and cyanide. This protocol must be complemented with the study in parallel of mitochondrial respiration through the Q-alternative oxidase pathway (Q-AOX; see SUIT-022).
Communicated by Huete-Ortega M, Gnaiger E (last update 2019-06-05)
Specific SUIT protocols
SUIT-023 O2 ce D053
- SUIT-023 O2 ce D053 for living microalgal cells (ce)
Steps and respiratory states
|Step||State||Pathway||Q-junction||Comment - Events (E) and Marks (M)|
|ce2SHAM||ROUTINE OR ROX|| ce1;ce2SHAM
- » Selected keywords in SUIT protocols
- Pathway control
Strengths and limitations
- SUIT-023 provides an estimation of the cyanide-and antimycin A-non-resistant mitochondrial respiration due to the activity cytochrome c oxidase (CIV) in cells. To complement the study with the estimation of the mitochondrial respiration through the Q-alternative oxidase pathway, it must be carried out in parallel to SUIT-022.
- + This protocol can be used with many types of cells, although optimal concentrations of inhibitors have to be tested.
- + Short duration of experiment
- - No estimation of coupling control
- - The use of cyanide requires careful cleaning of the chambers after use and careful handling of the chemical to guarantee health safety.
Compare SUIT protocols
MitoPedia methods: Respirometry