Abbreviation: AOX-ce CN+SHAM
Reference: A Determination of the respiration due to the alternative oxidase pathway -SUIT-022
SUIT number: D051_ce1;ce2KCN;ce3SHAM
- SUIT protocol pattern: ce1;ce2KCN;ce3SHAM
The SUIT-022 O2 ce D051 provides an estimation of mitochondrial respiration due to the Q-alternative oxidase pathway (Q-AOX pathway), which is cyanide-and antimycin A-resistant, for the specific case of microalgal cells. This protocol must be complemented with the study in parallel of mitochondrial respiration through the CIII- cytochrome c oxidase pathway (CIII-CIV; see SUIT-023).
Communicated by Huete-Ortega M and Gnaiger E (last update 2019-06-15)
Steps and respiratory states
|Step||State||Pathway||Q-junction||Comment - Events (E) and Marks (M)|
|ce2KCN||ROUTINE or ROX|| ce1;ce2KCN
- » Keywords: SUIT protocols - >>>>>>> - Click on [Expand] or [Collapse] - >>>>>>>
- Pathway control
Strengths and limitations
- SUIT-022 O2 ce D051 provides an estimation of the cyanide-and antimycin A-resistant mitochondrial respiration due to the activity of the alternative oxidase in microalgal cells.
- The concentrations of inhibitors used in this protocol have been optimised for the specific case of the microalgal model species Chlamydomonas reinhardtii
- + Short duration of experiment
- - No estimation of coupling control
- - The use of cyanide requires a careful cleaning of the chambers after use and careful handling of the chemical to guarantee health safety.
Compare SUIT protocols
- SUIT-023 O2 ce D053 has to be used in parallel to obtain complete information of the contribution of both Q-AOX and CIII-CIV pathways to mitochondrial respiration.
MitoPedia methods: Respirometry