|Products||Purchase||Support||O2k-Publications||Workshops & Events||O2k-Network||Feedback|
|O2k-Network Lab|| |
Department of Internal Medicine
Section on Gerontology and Geriatric Medicine
Wake Forest School of Medicine
See also: US CA San Diego Molina AJA
|Address||Medical Center Boulevard, NC 27157|
|State/Prov||North Carolina (NC)|
|Contact||Molina Anthony JA|
|Team||Bharadwaj Manish, Dozier Stephen, Eggebeen Joel, Kitzman Dalane W|
|Team previous||Tyrrell Daniel|
|Status||7 Power-O2k 2014-|
|Oroboros Events||MitoFit Science Camp 2016, IOC106, IOC104|
|Douros 2019 JCI Insight||2019||Douros JD, Niu J, Sdao SM, Gregg T, Fisher-Wellman KH, Bharadwaj MS, Molina A, Arumugam R, Martin MD, Petretto E, Merrins MJ, Herman MA, Tong J, Campbell JE, D'Alessio D (2019) Sleeve gastrectomy rapidly enhances islet function independently of body weight. JCI Insight [Epub ahead of print].|
|Tyrrell 2016 Redox Biol||2016||Tyrrell DJ, Bharadwaj MS, Jorgensen MJ, Register TC, Molina AJ (2016) Blood cell respirometry is associated with skeletal and cardiac muscle bioenergetics: Implications for a minimally invasive biomarker of mitochondrial health. Redox Biol 10:65-77.|
|Amick 2017 MiPschool Obergurgl||2017|
|Collins 2017 MiPschool Obergurgl||2017|
- The following webpage summarizes our current Aging Center projects: Aging Center projects
- UPBEAT- Understanding the Physiology and BioEnergetics of Aging
- Age-related bioenergetic decline underlies numerous features of aging, including the development of age-related diseases and disorders. To date, there is a limited understanding of how mitochondrial bioenergetics changes in the context of normal human aging. The goal of UPBEAT is to address this gap in knowledge and to generate a database of bioenergetic profiles from healthy individuals across a spectrum of ages. A key feature of UPBEAT is its design to serve as a healthy control group for ongoing and future research projects. For example, the role of mitochondrial bioenergetics in in several age-related diseases is currently being investigated by comparing data from patients and age-matched UPBEAT participants.
- Highly comprehensive bioenergetic profiling is being achieved by respirometry of circulating cells and biopsied skeletal muscle tissue using complementary approaches and protocols. In addition to standard clinical measures, analyses of physical ability and exercise capacity are being conducted. Current recruitment is focused on healthy older adults; younger age groups will follow.
- Principal Investigator:
- Anthony J.A. Molina. PhD
- Wake Forest School of Medicine
- -This study is supported by the American Heart Association and the National Institute on Aging.
- -Additional support and technical expertise provided by Oroboros Instruments (Innsbruck, Austria).
- To download the UPBEAT project summary press here.
- Strategic partner of the K-Regio MitoFit project.