Reference: A Determination of the respiration due to the alternative oxidase pathway -SUIT-022
SUIT number: D051_ce1;ce2KCN;ce3SHAM
The SUIT-022 O2 ce D051 has been designed to provide an estimation of the mitochondrial respiration due to the alternative oxidase pathway, which is cyanide-and antimycin A-resistant, for the specific case of microalgal cells. This protocol must be complemented with the study in parallel of the mitochondrial respiration due to the cytochrome c oxidase (CIV) pathway (see SUIT-023).
Communicated by Huete-Ortega M and Gnaiger E (last update 2019-04-09)
Steps and respiratory states
|Step||State||Pathway||Q-junction||Comment - Events (E) and Marks (M)|
|ce2KCN||ROUTINE or ROX|| ce1;ce2KCN
- » Selected keywords in SUIT protocols
- Pathway control
Strengths and limitations
- SUIT-022 O2 ce D051 provides an estimation of the cyanide-and antimycin A-resistant mitochondrial respiration due to the activity of the alternative oxidase in microalgal cells.
- The concentrations of inhibitors used in this protocol have been optimised for the specific case of the microalgal model species Chlamydomonas reinhardtii
- + Short duration of experiment
- - Estimation of the linear coupling control is not done
- - The use of cyanide requires a careful and in deep cleaning of the chambers after use and careful handling of the chemical to guarantee health safety.
Compare SUIT protocols
MitoPedia methods: Respirometry